Monday, February 16, 2009

Thing 9 - Copyright & Creative Commons

What have I learned about copyright? I believe I've mostly just been reminded of things I already knew. For instance, that copyrights are meant to protect and inspire creativity and that they give legal rights to creators. It's important we respect them because then we're promoting the sharing of ideas. I think it's important that we inform our students about copyright protections because really, using copyrighted materials illegally is stealing...no different than if they walked into Target and stole a book.
I think copyright is a good Mili topic because there's so much to know. Also, I've found some cool websites that are copyright free as a result of Metronet. As I put on the Miliwiki...I really like the site http://www.oldbookillustrations.com/ because it includes neat copyright free illustrations I can use on my history assignments.
My primary experiences dealing with copyright are actually when I go to make photocopies. For example, in my E.L.L. History class, we don't have a single textbook that we work out of. I find myself constantly seeking for, making and borrowing materials for that class. Sometimes I'm unsure if I'm using everything in a fair manner. Because of this topic in Metronet, I'm more aware of how I can find out about fair use of any classroom materials.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Shawn-
I really liked the Old Book Illustrations link you provided.

If you feel your students need some reinforcement, we could team-teach a copyright lesson to integrate into your next project.

On the subject of teaching ELL, I found out how difficult it was to attempt the subject of Boolean searching during an 'ELL Using Tech' class! My hat is off to all of you who differentiate on a daily basis.